Sunday, June 5, 2011

Solitude

If Jesus went into the desert alone for 40 days and Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree for 49, why am I struggling with just four?
A prophet I am not, but we knew that.
Still, one would think that after 50 years of never, ever being alone that a week by myself would be just the thing.
And it is.  I’m getting a heck of a lot of work done. I’m practicing yoga throughout the day. I’m reading some of those books that have sat, collecting dust, by my bedside. I’ve snuck in a few long bike rides. And yet…. I’m, what’s the word? Lonesome.
 I had contemplated being silent during my stay here. That lasted half a day.  My loved ones are getting weary of my calls and texts. How are you? I ask. “Still fine,” they say. Anything new? “Not in the last hour….”
As I sat on the beach this morning, I couldn’t help but think of those prophets who spent weeks and months in solitude, in prayer and meditation. And I thought of the people who live alone, perhaps not in prayer or meditation, but who experience solitude on a regular basis.  Most of the people I know who have chosen to live like that relish their lifestyle. 
Dabbling my toes in the waters of solitude is giving me a greater appreciation for my life of no solitude. Knowing that my time here is limited makes the solitude bearable and at times, even enjoyable.  It certainly inspires me to keep tackling those intimidating tasks that I claimed not to be able to do for lack of time or quiet.
I wonder if when these seven days of solitude are up whether I will return, changed. Hopefully, change will occur because of Yoga Neighborhood. But I suspect that, despite my wistfulness for family and friends, I will miss the opportunity to sit, think, pray and meditate whenever I want. The challenge, of course, will be to create those opportunities even in my busy, distracted life.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Namaste, Gin

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated Gin, I read this while having coffee this morning, best way to start my day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solitude, could I do it? Yes, but not for very long. I applaud your commitment and effort. It will be interesting what you discover after leaving the Tree House.

    I only know one person that could do it for long periods of time and that would be Tom. He can sit for hours and read, make his candles, build something, look at the stars. He doesn't think of these things as solitude but the joy it brings him. When he wrote his book, he took a week off to write it somewhere surrounded by only mother nature.

    I hope you'll be able to give us updates even after going back to your very hectic life.

    ReplyDelete